Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salad Recipe
The other week I was writing about needing light recipes for dinner that were also on the cooler side because of the heat wave we are having up here. Seriously, sitting down for pot roast is just not going to happen right now! As I was putting together our meal plan for the week, it dawned on me that it has been ages since I’ve had a good Vietnamese rice noodle bowl. For some reason Asheville just doesn’t have any good Vietnamese restaurants. It’s really odd especially considering how many great restaurants there are around here though. OK, so before I start digressing, I’ll get back on topic of just why a rice noodle salad is awesome when it’s hot outside.
First of all, the noodle base is cold. That’s pretty perfect. Second, it’s filling but it isn’t heavy. Third, you’ve got sweet, spicy and crispy happening all at once with each bite. Seriously, how does it not get any better than that? It get’s better by being super fast to cook and a great recovery meal for athletes. For real, probably one of the best dishes out there for athletes!
There are many different combinations of veggies and proteins you can use for your own unique rice noodle salad recipe. They usually tend to have carrot’s cucumbers and a crisp lettuce of sorts for the veggies and when it comes to meat it’s caramelized pork, lemongrass beef or spicy chicken. Those are just guidelines really, you can do anything you want. Marinate portobello mushrooms or fry an egg to put on top. The most important thing to remember is that you need the sauce, crispy veggies and some sort of protein and you are ready for your own super fast and healthy Vietnamese rice noodle bowl recipe.
Related Recipe: Pho Ga
Vietnamese Rice Noodle Salad with Grilled Lemongrass Chicken
- 4-6 ounces vermicelli rice noodles
- 1.5 cups matchstick carrots
- 1 small cucumber
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 small head of Napa cabbage
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon minced lemongrass
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1 long red or greenchilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- First, marinate the chicken with lemongrass, garlic, ginger, salt and olive oil.
- Slice the cucumbers and mix with the water, rice wine vinegar and sugar. Set aside.
- Turn the grill on and heat to high.
- Cook the rice noodles according to package and set aside.
- Slice the cabbage.
- Grill the chicken on each side for a maybe 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Combine the noodles, chicken and veggies. Start slowly adding in the sauce. It is strong so just keep tasting.
High Fiber, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free