Vegetarian Sweet Potato Taco
There are some mushrooms here in Germany that I have fallen in love with called kräuterseitlinge or trumpet mushrooms! They look like just Porcini mushrooms, have a similar taste and are a fraction of the cost. Talk about a great find! Even Dwight loves them and says that he can eat them in place of meat sometimes.
The minute he mentioned that, I went the vegetarian taco with mushroom route. For a bit more flavor and protein, I added some sweet potatoes and black beans to the tacos. These vegetarian sweet potato, black bean and mushroom tacos are by far one of the best vegetarian tacos I’ve made and a big part goes to the trumpet mushrooms! Leave out the cheese and you have some vegan tacos for dinner!
Related Recipe: Sweet Potato, Black Bean Hummus and Plantain Taco
Sweet Potato, Black Bean and Mushroom Taco
- 6 ounces trumpet mushrooms
- 1 15 ounce can of black beans, drained
- 1 small sweet potato, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 jalapeno, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 small corn or flout tortillas, 6 inch
- 1/4 cup feta cheese
- Cilantro for garnish
- If you don't have access to these mushrooms, I'd recommend using portobellos in their place.
- Ok, you are going to want to get 2 saute pans heated to medium with the olive oil split.
- Throw in the onions, jalapeno and sweet potato in one saute pan. Season with salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder.
- Once the onions and sweet potato are sauteeing, throw the mushrooms into the other saute pan and season with salt. This should take 5-7 minutes to cook. Just keep moving them around.
- Watch the clock and it should take around 7 minutes for the onion and sweet potato mixture to get soft. At that point, throw in the black beans and garlic. Saute for another 2-3 minutes and adjust seasonings.
- Once everything is cooked, assemble your tacos and garnish.
Calories 505 Fat 12g Carbs 73g Fiber 18g Sugars 7g Protein 39g