Mexican Chopped Salad
The Mexican chopped salad always seems to be an afterthought in my kitchen. I make tons of tacos and even southwest inspired soups, but I’ve never made a salad. I needed to remedy this since the holidays have passed us by and they did leave a few pounds behind!!!
This actually a spin on a go-to salad that I eat a lot. Super simple with lettuce, broccoli, red onion, red bell pepper, carrots, black beans and ranch because I love ranch! So with a few swaps like avocado for the broccoli and tomato for the carrots – all I needed was a salad dressing of sorts. I landed on the idea of making a shortcut cilantro and lime ranch dressing. I grabbed some buttermilk ranch (it has a bit more “bite” than regular) and blended it with some cilantro and a squeeze of a lime. Pretty simple and pretty delicious!
I simple grilled chicken breast would be a nice accompaniment to this salad if you need a bit more food or protein than what the beans give you. Even if you did add a bit more protein like chicken or salmon, this salad comes together in less than 15 minutes which is great for a busy weeknight!
Special Equipment: Cuisinart Mini Prep Food Processor
Enjoy and remember to Pin or save to your Meal Plan for later!
Vegetarian Mexican Chopped Salad
- 2 heads of Romaine lettuce
- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 15-ounce can, drained black beans
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 lime
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup of buttermilk ranch dressing
- 1 handful of fresh cilantro
- 1/2 lime
- Start with making the dressing by blending the ranch, cilantro and squeeze of lime. Set aside.
- Make the salad by cutting up the lettuce and placing in a large bowl. Slice the red onion and bell pepper. Toss on top of the lettuce with the black beans.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the seed. Cut both sides of the flesh in two opposite directions creating squares. Season with a pinch of salt and a squeeze of lime. Scoop out with a spoon and place on top of the salad. Mix in the dressing and serve.
High Fiber, Vegetarian, Pescatarian, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Pork Free, Red Meat Free, Crustacean Free, Celery Free, Mustard Free, Sesame Free, Lupine Free, Mollusk Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar Added, Kosher