Breakfast Taco Recipe
There are certain food pairing that work perfectly together. Sweet potato, spinach and goat cheese are one of those pairings. So it shouldn’t come as a surprise that my favorite little taco joint here in Asheville has come up with a breakfast taco that encompasses all three! They call it ‘Mamas Favorite’ and I can see why after having it for the first time the other week. With the addition of breakfast sausage and eggs, you’ve got an amazing and filling breakfast taco.
When I decided to make these the other morning I opted for 2 different versions – one with the sausage and one without. This was to see if the combo of just eggs, sweet potato, spinach and goat cheese was enough. Guess what? It was more than enough and still just downright good!
The taco comes together pretty quickly if you dice the sweet potatoes kind of small and sauté on medium-high heat, constantly moving the pan. The spinach only takes a few minute and so do the eggs. If you are going for the vegetarian option for this sweet potato taco – use two eggs instead of one.
Sweet Potato, Spinach and Goat Cheese Breakfast Taco
- 1 small sweet potato
- 5-6 ounce bag or container of baby spinach
- 4 eggs
- 2-3 ounces of loose breakfast sausage (omit if making vegetarian)
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- 4 small flour tortillas
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Start heating a non-stick skillet to medium-high heat. Add in the sausage. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- While the sausage is cooking, dice the sweet potato and add to the skillet with salt. Sauté for 5-6 minutes constantly (within reason).
- Once the sweet potatoes are sautéing, wilt the spinach in another sauté pan. Set aside. Once the sweet potatoes are just done, beat the eggs and place in the skillet with some olive oil. Season with salt and cook until set (scrambled).
- Assemble the tacos with sausage, egg, spinach, sweet potatoes and some crumbled goat cheese.
High Fiber, Sugar Conscious, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Crustacean Free, Celery Free, Mustard Free, Sesame Free, Lupine Free, Mollusk Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar Added