Spaghetti and Arugula Pesto
Sometimes the simplest dishes can be the most flavorful. This is is a fun and healthy spin on pesto. Walnuts are a great anti-inflammatory food for athletes and add a different flavor than the traditional pine nuts. The the arugula adds an extra punch of nutrition and peppery spice to the mix.
Related Basil: Basil and Pine Nut Pesto
Spaghetti with Arugula and Walnut Pesto
- 1 pound of spaghetti
- 1 bunch fresh arugula, tough stems removed, washed and spun dry, plus baby arugula, for garnish
- 1/2 cup lightly toasted walnuts
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Cook the spaghetti in salted water until al dente. About 12 minutes.
- In a food processor, combine the arugula, parsley, walnuts, garlic, cheese, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and process on high speed until the greens are finely chopped. With the machine running, add the extra-virgin olive oil and 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a steady stream and process until smooth.