I had been wanting to make a smoked fish dip for a few weeks and I thought that Thanksgiving would be a good opportunity to make it, but then I ran out of time. However, Dwight had some of his old paddling buddies over for dinner on Sunday night and it turned out that it was the perfect time to make it. Obviously I was going to have to lighten this spread up a bit. I mean, it is usually made with whole fat cream cheese, whole fat mayo along with whole fat sour cream. That is a lot of fat right there! I quickly decided on the obvious ways to cut some of the fat like using low-fat cream cheese, fat free sour cream and omitting the mayo (I kinda fee like I’m cheating on my southern heritage with that one). After the cutting of the fat, I opted on adding apple cider vinegar for more acid instead of lemon juice and then celery instead of celery salt for more flavor and less sodium. Double win right there!
I bought good quality smoked trout to make this dip because it has a lot of great flavor without adding extra fat. This way, you can have a chunky trout dip instead of a mousse. Disclaimer: I’m just not a fan of the super pureed trout dips. I mean, you lose the delicate quality of what is actually the star of the entire dish. That just seems silly to me.
Without using full fat mayo, sour cream and cream cheese, you really end up with a super healthy appetizer; partly because of the omega-3s and other nutrients that you find in the trout. Then if you do a quick chop and throw everything into the food processor for a few quick spins, you also end up with a quick and easy hor d’oeuvres recipe for your next party. Bonus!
Skinny Smoked Trout Dip
- 8 ounces good quality smoked trout
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 celery stick, diced
- 4 cornichons, diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- a few dashes of worcestershire sauce
- 8 ounces low fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons fat free or low-fat sour cream
- Take all the ingredients and pulse in your food processor until everything is combined. You don't want to turn it on and just let it run. This is not a mousse!
- Taste and adjust the seasonings. Remember that after a bit of sitting, the flavors will combine and get a tad bit bolder.
- Serve with good butter crackers, red bell pepper and carrots.
Low Carb, Sugar Conscious, Low Potassium, Kidney Friendly, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Shellfish Free, Pork Free, Alcohol Free, No Oil Added, No Sugar Added