Peanut brittle is synonymous with carnivals, ocean board walks and summer time. However, not everyone has time to stand over the stove top with a candy thermometer waiting for the sugar to get to that perfect temperature. This super easy fool-proof recipe, using the microwave, is sure to make anyone a brittle recipe maker!
Shortcut Almond Brittle
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light-colored corn syrup
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped almonds, toasted$
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Line a jelly-roll pan with parchment paper.
- Combine sugar and syrup in a 2-quart glass bowl. Microwave at HIGH 3 minutes (sugar mixture will be clear and bubbly). Stir in almonds. Microwave at HIGH 3 minutes or until mixture is a light caramel color, stirring every minute. Stir in butter, vanilla, and salt. Microwave at HIGH 1 1/2 minutes or until mixture is the color of peanut butter. Add baking soda, and stir until texture is foamy. Quickly pour mixture onto prepared pan. Spread to 1/4-inch thickness. Let stand 30 minutes. Break brittle into pieces, and store in an airtight container for up to a week.