Roasted Eggplant Pasta
Eggplant doesn’t have a ton of flavor on it’s own. It absorbs flavors and then transforms as it cooks. This is especially true when roasting or grilling it. The other week I grilled some eggplant, topped it with tomatoes and some mozzarella after a late night bike ride. It was quick, easy and delicious. My master plan was to recreate that recipe and post it on the site. However, as I got busier this past week and wanting to up my time in the saddle, I ended up thinking that a quick and easy weeknight pasta dinner was in order.
Because this is a vegan recipe, I needed and wanted to develop more flavor than just some sautéd eggplant and pasta. I also wanted quick, so…. hmmmmmm.
I landed on using some of the marinara sauce I had in the freezer from last summer. This way I didn’t have to make it, but if you don’t have frozen marinara sauce, just use a good quality store bought sauce. Then for more flavor, I thought I’d roast the eggplant in the oven with some olive oil and salt while I was caramelizing some onions and boiling pasta. This meant —- layered flavors!! This is exactly what you are looking for when making healthy food taste delicious.
I made this a vegan pasta recipe, but if you wanted to add a little extra something to it, I think that mixing in some ricotta cheese or a touch of heavy cream would be really good too!
Roasted Eggplant, Caramelized Onions & Marinara Pasta
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup marinara sauce
- Basil - 1 cup, chopped
- 5 ounces ziti, penne or spaghetti pasta
- Preheat your oven to 350F/180C and a sauté pan to medium heat.
- While it's heating, cube the eggplant, toss in olive oil and some kosher salt. Slice the onion. Place the eggplant on a baking sheet and then put in the oven for about 20 minutes. Remember to toss it once. Place the sliced onions in the sauté pan with some olive oil and salt. Keep sautéing them while you bring some water to a boil and wait on the eggplant.
- Once the water is boiling, salt the water and add in the pasta. It' shouldn't take but 10 minutes or less. Drain.
- Once the onions are caramelized and the eggplant is roasted, combine in the sauté pan with the marinara sauce. Heat on high till you some bubbling. Add in the pasta and the basil. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
Balanced, High Fiber, Vegan, Vegetarian, Pescatarian, Dairy Free, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Pork Free, Red Meat Free, Crustacean Free, Celery Free, Mustard Free, Sesame Free, Lupine Free, Mollusk Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar Added, Kosher