Typically in the past when I I would think of Mexican Street Corn, I would think of something deep fried. I don’t exactly know why but I have a feeling that I was served it that way at a restaurant once and I thought “authentic” and it wasn’t. Mexican Street Corn is grilled. Leave it up to someone here in the states to take something relatively healthy and throw it in a fryer. Ugh.
Anyways, before I digress….. Let’s talk about how great and simple an elote recipe is for the summer or maybe as an accompaniment to Taco Tuesday. Basically, you grill some corn on super high heat. You want it to be charred a little bit. When it’s done, you brush it in a mayonnaise, sour cream, lime and cheese sauce. Before you start to freak out about it sounding fattening – it’s not. Why? Because you aren’t dunking the corn in it or making the corn swim in the sauce. You are going to just lightly brush it on the corn. You still want to taste yummy summer corn and not mask it.
From start to finish this elotes recipe only takes 15 minutes. When the grill is heating up you are making the sauce and the corn only takes about 8 minutes at such a high heat. Easy peasy!
Don’t have a grill? Broil the corn to get the charred flavor to it.
Related Recipe: Off the Cobb Mexican Street Corn (Esquites)
Mexican Street Corn (Elote) Recipe
- 6 ears of corn
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 2 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, Cotija or Feta
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- Pinch of salt
- Get your grill going to high.
- While that's heating shuck the corn if need be and make the sauce by combining everything. Mix and taste.
- Once the grill is hot, place the corn on the hottest parts of the grill. You will want to turn them occasional to get a nice char all around. this should take maybe 8 minutes.
- Once the corn is ready, remove from the heat and brush the sauce on it. Sprinkle with more cilantro, chili powder and/or cheese if you like.
Balanced, Vegetarian, Pescatarian, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Pork Free, Alcohol Free, Kosher