A good jerk seasoning can be used in all types of grill meats and vegetables. Shrimp in the shell is great with it because the shell acts as both a protector from being to intense and at the same time, adds more flavor. The key to making this very flavorful is to marinate the shrimp at least 8 hours.
Also, this is a great marinade for all types of meats. I’ve made it with chicken, pork and goat. It’s always been super goo! Just make sure to marinate for a bit longer.
Jamaican Jerk Shrimp
- 2 pounds large, shrimp, shell on
- 5 scallions (green onions)
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme (about 1 tablespoon chopped)
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 serrrano peppers or if you are crazy, habanero peppers
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- Combine all the ingredients besides the shrimp and blend in your food processor.
- Place marinade in a ziplock bag along with the shrimp and let marinade at least 8 hours over over night.
- Remove shrimp from marinade and grill for about 2 minutes on each side. Serve with some crusty grilled bread.