Healthy Macaroni and Cheese
I made this macaroni and cheese with spinach last week for us and it wasn’t really my favorite. It was fine, just not up to what I think is good enough. So, I decided to do it again, but as a recipe for one since I’m on my own this week. It is filled with protein rich spinach. Quick fact: pound per pound spinach has more protein than red meat. I also changed some of the cheeses to help reduce the fat but keep the flavors. I used Jarlesburg Reduced fat cheese as the base. It has by far, the best flavor and is still able to melt well. I also used reduced fat feta because again, it’s one the few cheeses that still maintains a lot of flavor while cutting the fat. This really turned out to be a healthier and great tasting vegetarian macaroni and cheese with spinach. I ended up saving at least 500 calories and 20 grams of fat from a whole milk, whole cheese macaroni and cheese recipe
Macaroni and Cheese with Spinach
- 1 cup penne pasta
- 4 ounces spinach
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1 ounce Jarlesburg reduced fat Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon reduced fat feta cheese
- pinch of nutmeg
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add in the pasta. It'll take about 10 minutes
- While the pasta is cooking, saute the spinach until wilted. Set aside on paper towels to drain. The chop it up a little bit.
- After the pasta has cooked and is draining in a colander, melt the butter in the same pot. (If you want to really save time, use another pot while the pasta is cooking.) Once the butter is melted, stir in one tablespoon of flour. Stir the flour constantly and once it has a popcorn smell to it, slowly pour in the milk, constantly stirring.
- Bring it to a light boil. Once you see the bubbles, it's at it's thickest state. Turn the heat down to low and stir in the cheese. Once the cheese has melted add in the spinach, pasta and the pinch of nutmeg. Adjust the seasoning and serve once it has all been heated through.
Vegetarian, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Pork Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar Added, Kosher