Summer is coming to an end and I feel like I’m rushing to cook every last bit of summer produce that is left! Lets also not forget to mention using the grill at every chance I can get right now. I don’t know why, but I always forget that tomatoes and grilled steak are a perfect match. Grilled steak, especially skirt or flank steak has a very rich flavor to it. Basically a great contrast to fresh and crisp heirloom tomatoes.
However, I needed another contrast in flavor with this recipe and I didn’t want just plain potatoes. Thining cap went on and I landed on eggplant because it has a great earthy flavor to it if you slightly char it. The smokiness of the eggplant really made everything in this dish just come together. This is by far one of the better summer grilled steak and vegetable dinner I have some up with. It’s healthy, it’s fresh, it’s full of flavor and it’s just so super easy!
Grilled Skirt Steak with Charred Eggplant and Heirloom Tomatoes
- 1 pound skirt steak
- 4 heirloom tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup shopped fresh herbs like basil, mint or oregano
- 2 small eggplants
- kosher salt and pepper
- Slice the eggplant either in circles or lengthwise and salt for about 15-30 minutes.
- Next, quarter the tomatoes, slice the red onion and combine with the olive oil, red wine vinegar, herbs, feta and season with a touch of salt. Let site while getting everything else together.
- Get the grill going to medium-high heat.
- Season the steak with salt and pepper. Once the eggplant has lost some of it's moisture, toss with some olive oil. Place both the steak and eggplant slices on the grill. The steak should take about 3 minutes on each side for rare+. The eggplant will not be charred yet, so leave it on until the steak finishes resting for about 5 minutes.
- Place the eggplant on the plate, then top with the steak slices (slice against the grain) and finish with the heirloom tomato mixture. Crumble some of the feta cheese on top and serve.
High Fiber, Low Carb, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar Added