Earlier this week I made an awesome grilled halloumi pita sandwich. The recipe calls for 4 servings, which is correct if you are going to use all the halloumi, tzatziki sauce and the red bell pepper salsa to serve 4 people. But what if there are only two of you in the house like there is here? Well, you could do simple leftovers or you could mix it up a few days later like I did with this grilled Greek shrimp plate.
All I did was replace the pita with some basmati rice and grilled some shrimp to go along with the leftover halloumi. Apparently a little gremlin got in the fridge and ate some of the halloumi ;). It actually ended up being a good thing with this recipe because I think it allows you to understand a bit better how to utilize partial leftovers like the tzatziki sauce and the Greek salsa. I don’t know about you, but there always seems to be a ton of leftovers like salsas, etc. but not much protein. So by using partial leftovers, you can actually end up with a brand new meal – yay!
Go take a look at the the pit sandwich recipe if you want to make this shrimp plate as the original recipe. That’s where the tzatziki recipe and red bell pepper salsa is at. Then instead of using leftover halloumi cheese, use some feta cheese over the shrimp.
Go take a look at the the pita sandwich recipe if you want to make this shrimp plate as the original recipe. That’s where the tzatziki recipe and red bell pepper salsa is at. Then instead of using leftover halloumi cheese, use some feta cheese over the shrimp.
Grilled Greek Shrimp Plate
- 1/2 pound of shrimp if doing leftovers or 1 pound if you are going to make as the original.
- 1 tablepoon of all purpose Greek seasoning- Or season with a shake of garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, oregano and salt.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1/2 bag of arugula
- 1 lemon
- Leftover tzatziki and salsa
- Leftover grilled halloumi or 1/4 cup of feta cheese
- Get the grill going to medium-high heat.
- Start the rice as it will take about 10-15 minutes
- Season the shrimp with spices, 1/2 of the lemon juice and toss with olive oil. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Toss the arugula with some of the lemon juice, a bit of olive oil and a small pinch of salt. Set aside while grilling the shrimp.
- Go grill the shrimp for a couple minutes on each side.
- Make the plate with the rice on one side and the arugula on the other. Place the shrimp over with the salsa and then the tzatziki on the side.