Grilled Eggplant Sandwich
Last weekend I made a really good Sicilian Caponata recipe for a friends 40th birthday IPA tasting party. Hint: It was a hit. I ended up with a few rogue veggies that I ended up needing to use since we are heading out of town this weekend for a few weeks. I was staring at the eggplant in my fridge and “sandwich” popped into my head. Eggplant is sooooo good on the grill. Which is kinda cool since it really doesn’t have much of a flavor on it’s own. I also find that grilled eggplant is a fantastic meat substitution for sandwiches because it really does end up with a “meaty” flavor from the grill. The vegetable with little flavor becomes the most flavorful grilled vegetable ever!!!!!
But let’s be honest too, I love sandwiches and I do eat them a lot as a lunch or dinner. If you get the right combinations, like with this one, it seriously becomes a a quick and healthy meal.
Why this one works? Well, the goat cheese and ricotta makes a great smear, there’s tomato, red onions, red bell peppers, grilled eggplant and BASIL!!!! This is quite possibly the best summer combo of flavors ever. It’s also nice to to mix it up a bit with portobello —- Which by the way, would be good with this sandwich too!
Grilled Eggplant Sandwich with Goat Cheese
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1/2 small red bell pepper
- Red onion slices
- 1 small tomato, sliced
- 1 tablespoon goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- 2 brioche buns or burger buns
- Get the grill going to high heat.
- Slice the eggplant thick. About a 1/3 inch. Toss the eggplant and red bell pepper in olive oil and salt. Place on the hot hot hot grill for about 5 minutes on each side. What you want is a char on the outside, but not mush. You want it to be "al dente" vegetables.
- So, while the eggplant is grilling, make the goat cheese, ricotta and basil smear by combining the ingredients and mixing well. You'll also want to slice the tomatoes and red onion.
- Right before you need to take off the eggplant and red bell pepper, toast the bread on the grill because bread needs a little bit of tender care to it.
- Assemble the sandwiches when all done!