I think lima beans are probably one of the most under utilized beans around the US. In the south there is succotash, but that is about it. Lima beans do not have a strong flavor on their own. They are actually quite bland to be honest. However, this makes them the perfect bean for marinating because they soak up all the flavors. I think that Greek flavors like vinegars and oils impart a bright flavor. The feta cheese in this Greek lima bean salad adds a textural contrast to the buttery lima beans.
I love to make a big batch of this and eat it as a quick recovery meal because you eat it right out of the fridge, is full of protein and healthy carbs. Not to mention it’s a perfect vegetarian option.
Greek Lima Been Salad
- 2 cups frozen lima beans
- 1 small red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or more if you like
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of fresh chopped herbs like basil, mint and oregano
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Take the lima beans out of the freezer and let de-thaw.
- Chop the ingredients that need to be and set aside.
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. This is when you are able to adjust the flavors more to your palate.
- Marinate for at least one our over night if you have the time.
Balanced, High Fiber, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar Added, Kosher