Slow Cooker Spaghetti
When I was a kid, I’d go to my grandparent’s house a lot on the weekends. Grandad would come pick me (or us) up and we’d head over to the house. Then we’d send Grandad into the kitchen to tell Grandmother that we didn’t come thinking we were fooling her as we were hiding in the garage. When the excitement was too great – we’d rush in and yell “fooled you”. Even though we weren’t, but it was fun 🙂
More often than not on those visits, she was in the kitchen making a big batch of spaghetti for us while we were “surprising” her. If I remember correctly from all those years ago – it was old fashioned American spaghetti at it’s best. Nothing like a classic bolognese sauce you find in most Italian kitchens. I believe the first time I ever tried to make it, I made it with half Ragu and half from scratch. I’m not sure if it’s because that is how she made it or how my mom told me she made it or that I was only 19 years old just learning how to cook the first time I gave it a go. But whatever it was, it was a start and something I got really good at making.
Back when I lived in Florida, I’d make my dad a lot of the foods he grew up, that Grandmother made, the comfort food he prefers every night over stuffy Club food. One of his favorites was my spaghetti sauce. Sometimes I still make him big batches of his favorites, freeze them and then send them on down. I’ll let you in on a secret —- I did that this weekend 🙂
The slow cooker is perfect for this spaghetti sauce, especially if you have a larger one. The longer and slower it cooks, the better it is. This is a big batch of spaghetti sauce so you can freeze some of it or make different things like lasagna or stuffed shells with it. Perfect for busy families.
Enjoy and remember to Pin or Save for later!!!
Grandmother’s Slow Cooker Spaghetti Sauce
- 3 pounds of ground chuck
- 1 large yellow onion or 2 small ones
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 carrots
- 2 ribs of celery
- 16 ounces or 2 containers of cremini mushrooms
- 2 28-ounce cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup of white wine
- 5-6 pieces of fresh thyme
- 1 small container of fresh basil
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Kosher salt
- Turn your slow cooker on to sear or brown. Add in the meat and break apart. Season with a few pinches of salt and then a dash of the herbs.
- While the meat is cooking, dice the carrots, celery and onion(s). Quarter the mushrooms. Then mince the garlic.
- Once the meat is cooked all the way through, remove and set on some paper towels to drain. Pour some of the fat out of the slow cooker if you want, then add in the carrots, celery and onion. Season with a pinch of salt. After a few minutes, add in the mushrooms and sauté until they release their liquid. Add the meat back in and the wine. Let cook for a few minutes. Add in the canned tomatoes, all of the herbs (including the fresh ones) and a few pinches of salt. Stir and then cover.
- Turn the slow cooker on to low and let cook for 8 hours.
- ** If you want to cook it on the stove top, place it on low/simmer and cook for about 2 hours.
* Without Pasta
High Protein, Paleo, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Pork Free, Crustacean Free, Mustard Free, Sesame Free, Lupine Free, Mollusk Free, No Oil Added, Kosher