A make ahead idea for athletes needing real food recovery and busy weekday mornings before work, would be to simply sauté some red onions and tomatoes together and keep stored in the fridge. Then you can reheat with the chiles in the microwave while toasting the bread and frying the egg.
Cooking Note: A lot of recipes call for cheddar cheese and that is what I used. However, you could easily replace with any melting cheese like Swiss, Provolone or Gruyere.
Egg Kejriwal: Indian Egg Toast with Chiles
- 4 eggs
- 4 pieces of toast
- 4 slices of cheddar cheese
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1 3-ounce can of green chiles
- 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Start with lightly toasting the bread in the toaster. Then turn your broiler on to high.
- Next up is the red onion and tomato. Roughly chop each. Heat a non-stick skillet to medium heat, add in some olive oil. Throw in the onions first with a pinch of salt. Sauté for a a couple minutes. Then add in the tomatoes with a pinch of salt. Sauté for about a minute. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the skillet back up to medium heat. Once it's hot, break in the 4 eggs and let cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- While the eggs are cooking, place the cheese on the bread and set under the broiler until melted. Remove.
- Optional step: Place the green chiles and the tomato mixture into the microwave to quickly reheat. If not, place the tomato mixture on the bread and then top with an egg. Then spoon some green chiles over that egg and finish with a sprinkle of salt and fresh cilantro.
1 Piece of Toast with Egg
Low Carb, Sugar Conscious, Vegetarian, Pescatarian, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Pork Free, Red Meat Free, Crustacean Free, Celery Free, Mustard Free, Sesame Free, Lupine Free, Mollusk Free, Alcohol Free, Kosher