I’ve been wanting to make some stuffed baked potatoes for a while now so when Dwight mentioned wanting them yesterday, I jumped on it. One of my go-to easy dinner ideas that require minimal cooking is microwaving a baked potato, topping it with some sour cream and cheese and then steaming some broccoli, red bell peppers, onions and carrots. So, I opted to to just stuff the baked potato with broccoli, sour cream and cheese. Simple, easy and for me, a fantastic comfort meal.
The trick to making this a super easy stuffed baked potato recipe is not bake it twice. You’re probably going wuut? right now, but trust me here. The microwave is your friend when it comes to this recipe. Embrace it.
The first thing you are going to do is take a crown of broccoli and cut off about 2 cups of broccoli florets from it. Place in a bowl with some water that’s maybe a 1/4 – 1/2 inch deep. Place a towel over it, throw in the oven and blast away for 2 minutes. Then you are going to clean the potatoes and wrap in some paper towels. Place in the microwave and nuke for about 8 minutes. They will not be done unless you are using small potatoes, then they will be done. Ok, back to large potatoes…. The reason I say 8 minutes is that you want to take a towel and press into the potato to feel how soft it’s getting. What you are looking for is soft, a slight give, but not mushy. This is the time that you can use that brain of yours and try to deduct just how many more minutes or none at all that you are going to need.
Basic rule of thumb: 5 minutes for a tiny/small potato. 8 minutes for a medium potato. 12-14 for a large potato.
After the potato is nuked and you have let it cool for a second so that you can handle it, cut it in half and scoop out the flesh. Don’t scoop all the way to the skin though. You want to keep about 1/4 inch of flesh in there so it acts as a wall for the stuffing. Place the flesh in a bowl with some cheese, butter, sour cream, scallions, milk and broccoli. Mix around, season and stuff. Place in a 350F oven for 15-20 minutes. That’s it! You should have easy twice baked potatoes on your dinner plate in less than 30 minutes!
Easy Twice Baked Potatoes with Broccoli ‘n Cheese
- 4 large Idaho potatoes
- 2 cups of broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup low-fat milk, coconut milk or almond milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup plus 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 2-3 scallions chopped
- kosher salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 350F.
- Place the broccoli florets in a bowl with a little bit of water and cover. Microwave on high for 2 minutes and remove.
- Wrap the potatoes in paper towels and microwave for 8 minutes. Feel the potatoes and see if you need 2 minutes or 5 more minutes.
- Once done, remove the flesh from the potatoes and place in a bowl. Make sure you leave at least a 1/4 inch around the skin so that it can act as a wall. Season the leftover flesh with kosher salt.
- Mix the potatoes with the milk, sour cream, butter, 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, scallions and broccoli. Season with kosher salt. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed.
- Place in a baking sheet, sprinkle with the remaining cheese and bake for 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove from oven and serve.
Balanced, High Fiber, Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Pork Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar Added, Kosher