Chicken Tinga Tacos
This is chicken tinga recipe is something I’ve been wanting to do for a VERY long time. But between other recipes, traveling, posts, work (all that fun stuff) I just hadn’t gotten around to it. But as the weather is now changing and I’m picking my training back up – the slow cooker is becoming my friend again and this recipe is perfect for it!
Chicken Tinga is one of those recipes where you (ok – me) don’t want to veer to far from the original one. In it’s most basic form it’s a chicken stewed in tomatoes. What I wanted to do was just take that idea and then enhance the flavors – a lot. Basically back to my whole “season, season, season”.
To add some depth of flavor I used fired roasted canned tomatoes and 1 chipotle pepper with 1 teaspoon of adobe sauce. I didn’t want it to taste like chipotle, I just wanted another level of flavor and heat. Other than that, I did stick to pretty much what the original recipe is like. I just added a bit more flavoring/seasoning like garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and dried oregano. I come from the school of thought that the more flavor you have the less fat you have to add and the quicker you become satisfied eating, meaning you eat less. Most of us need all the help we can get :).
I served mine with some chopped avocado, cilantro, onion and cheese. I rolled in the door at 8pm after my ride and getting stuck in traffic, so the LAST thing I wanted to do was get all fancy with salsa or sauces, etc. Besides, this is all it really needs!
Quick Note: I used 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken thighs because dark meat doesn’t dry out and it’s a lot easier to shred when you are ready to eat. Also, if you like a lot more sauce – got with 1 1/2 pounds of chicken thighs.
Never miss another recipe or test kitchen tip.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tinga Tacos
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 15-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes, crushed
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 red onion
- 1 jalapeño
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon each: onion powder, garlic powder, cumin, dried oregano
- Kosher salt
- Flour or corn tortillas
- Feta, Cotija, Cheddar Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Get your slow cooker going to high heat.
- Dice the onion, jalapeño and the garlic. Pour the olive oil into the slow cooker and then add onions and jalapeño. Sautè for a few minutes and then add in the garlic for another minute. Add in the chicken, then the seasonings and a large pinch of salt. Sautè for a few minutes. Add in the tomatoes, chicken stock and another pinch of salt. Cover and set on low for at least 4 hours. It can cook for up to 6 hours but make sure your slow cooker turns to warm afterwards.
Serving size: 2 tacos with avocado, cheese, cilantro, lime
High Fiber, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Pork Free, Crustacean Free, Celery Free, Mustard Free, Sesame Free, Lupine Free, Mollusk Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar Added