The other night we were watching a taco show on one of the food channels and a fried cauliflower taco was being raved on! One of things that caught my attention was that they kept saying that the cauliflower had a “meaty” enough texture and bite that you didn’t really miss it. What I needed was a recipe that wasn’t going to be fried, even though the oil really adds a lot flavor all the way through the cauliflower, not just the outside.
Cauliflower Taco Recipe
I started thinking to marinate or not marinate…. Cauliflower doesn’t absorb marinades quite like meats do and I wanted this to be a quick dinner. I mean, I don’t want a vegetarian dinner to take as long as it would to cook a big piece of meat. I figured a quick poach in flavored liquid would be the key because it tenderizes the cauliflower without adding anymore fat like an oil based marinade would.
Off to the drawing board to see what flavors I wanted in it.
Smoky? Chipotle and Smoked Paprika.
Spicy? Chipotle and Cayenne.
Crispy? High oven temperature.
Bold? Lots of Spices.
After infusing the cauliflower by poaching it in a dark vegetable stock and chipotle peppers in adobo, it was time to toss in smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne powder, salt and olive oil. Roast at 400F and you’ve got yourself some crispy roasted cauliflower tacos.
Crispy Roasted Cauliflower Tacos
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 quart of vegetable stock
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce with 1 tablespoon of adobo sauce reserved
- olive oil
- Mix equal parts:
- smoked paprika
- chili powder
- onion powder
- garlic powder
- kosher salt
- Pinch of cayenne
- 6 small corn or flour tortillas
- Pineapple Salsa
- Feta cheese
- Avocado, sliced
- Heat your oven to 400F
- Combine the vegetable stock, chipotle and adobo to a boil. While it's coming to a boil. Cut up the cauliflower in bite size pieces or larger if you want. Blanch for about 90 seconds or so. Basically the cauliflower will get a little red tint and you are done. Drain and cool by either throwing in the freezer (I do that a lot) or in an ice bath. Dry.
- Toss the cauliflower with olive oil and the spice mixture so that it's well coated. Put in the oven and set your timer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes you need to toss the cauliflower around. Set the timer for 10 minutes and then start watching it until it gets that crispy color to it. Once you get a darker color, some crisp to the edges and you can poke the cauliflower with a fork, it's done.
High Fiber, Vegetarian, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar Added
Calories 377, Fat 23g, Carbs 38g, Fiber 11g, Sugars 5g, Protein 10g