The other night I could not figure out what in the world I wanted to eat for dinner. It was one of those nights where I just so tired from training that nothing sounded good. So, while I was on my way to the store I started rolling ideas around in my head hoping that something would stick. The main thing I needed was quick, filling, refueling and also fueling for the next day. I landed on pasta because it cooks quick, shrimp, because it cooks quickly, spinach, because it cooks quickly (sensing a theme yet?) and tomatoes. I had a game plan when I went into Whole Foods now. Well, one of the great things about being a chef is that my mind doesn’t turn off… I saw sausage and I had to have it. Seriously, I was starving at this point so really anything would have sounded good. However, I kinda like how it quickly evolved into a grilled cajun and shrimp pasta recipe!
I used the fresh made andouille sausage you can get at Whole Food but you can use whatever kind you want.
Grilled Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Spinach Pasta
- 4 ounces pappardelle pasta
- 1/4 pound peeled and deveined shrimp
- 3 ounces andouille sausage
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 small tomato, chopped
- 1 garlic clove thinly sliced
- 1/8 cup grated asiago cheese
- 1 teaspoon creole/cajun seasoning
- Turn your grill on and heat to medium-high heat. Put the sausage on the grill.
- Fill a pot with some water and bring to a boil. Add salt and then put in the pasta. The pasta should take about 6-7 minutes to cook.
- This is about the time you should be taking the sausage off the grill.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat a saute pan to medium heat with some olive oil. Add in the chopped tomatoes and garlic. Cook for about 1 minute, then add in the spinach until wilted. This should take another minute or two. Turn off the heat.
- Pasta should be done at this point. Drain and put in the saute pan with the vegetables.
- Season the shrimp and place on the grill for about 3 minutes and remove from the grill.
- Slice the sausage and put into the pan with the shrimp. Heat the saute pan to high to quickly reheat the vegetables and meat. Grate in the asiago cheese, toss and serve.