Butternut Squash Bisque
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium-size butternut squash, peeled and chopped into 1?2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon thinly sliced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 2/3 cup tomato juice
- 6 cups vegetable, fish or chicken stock
- 1 pod star anise
- 1/2 cup tarragon leaves
- 1 tablespoon crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/8 tablespoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 cup roasted pumpkin seeds.
- In a large saucepan set over medium heat, melt the butter until it foams. Add the squash, onion, ginger and garlic and cook slowly until soft, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle in the flour and stir, then cook for 5 or 6 minutes to incorporate.
- Add the wine, and reduce the liquids until the pan is almost dry. Add the tomato juice and reduce it by half, approximately 3 minutes. Add the stock, anise and cardamom and simmer until it has reduced by roughly half, about 30 minutes. When the bisque has reduced, remove from heat and stir in the tarragon. Cover and steep for 5 minutes. Whisk in the crème fraîche.
- Season with salt, lime juice and cayenne.
Calories 400, Fat 16g, Carbs 47, Sugar 11g, Protein 16g