Ok – I can not believe that I have never posted this recipe before!!! I have been making it for years and I seriously put it on every salad. Recently we had a runner friend in town from Alabama a few weeks recently and I put this dressing on a kale salad for dinner one night. Firs thing he said was how amazing it was and the second thing was – is it on your site?
So – I give you my go-to, must-have, best salad dressing I make recipe! And my little secret that makes it so great!
I start with making a paste of minced garlic, shallots, honey, dijon mustard AND the secret is balsamic syrup. It adds sweetness and helps keep the dressing emulsified. Basically it helps keep it from separating the vinegar and oil. Once those ingredients are mixed together, I add in balsamic vinegar and then start whisking in the oil. Also – a big plus to using all the other ingredients is that you don’t have to use a ton of olive oil like a lot of other balsamic vinaigrettes. I finish it up with just a bit of salt and some dried basil.
I put together a big batch for this recipe to get the ratios correct for you guys. It keeps in the fridge for at least a week.
Related Recipe: Mediterranean Chopped Kale Salad
Balsamic Vinegar, Honey and Dijon Salad Dressing
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 shallot or 1/4 cup minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon balsamic reduction, syrup
- 2/3 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup of olive oil
- Pinch of salt and dried herbs
- Make a paste with the garlic, shallots, honey, dijon, and balsamic reduction. Mix in the balsamic vinegar so it's incorporated. Now - start slowly whisking in the olive oil. It should emulsify pretty easily.
- Taste and adjust the ingredients if you want. Add more honey if you want it sweeter. Add more dijon for tartness. That type of stuff!