There are a ton of Italian restaurants in Germany. When I say a ton it seems like about 70% of the restaurants are. So, when the rare occurrence happened that I start craving one, I knew there was going to be a little problem finding a good one in these parts. To the drawing board I went. I was thinking completely unhealthy because it’s not like I eat one every week or even every month. There are a few things that you don’t normally see in Germany food wise: pickled jalapenos, cheddar cheese and oddly enough, smoked bacon. This turned into a no brainer in a matter of seconds!
I did what other person would or should do to a burger: I stuffed it with a mushroom duxelle, cooked bacon pieces, minced yellow onion, garlic, lots of fun seasonings and topped it with some melted cheddar cheese and pickled jalapenos. Oh yeah, it was awesome!
Now, to make the whole meal complete and maybe just a touch healthier, I recommend heading over to the recipe crispy, crunchy and garlicky baked french fries I made the other day.
- 1 1/4 pounds of 10% fat, lean ground beef
- 4 slices of bacon, chopped and cooked
- 1 1/4 cups of finely chopped mushrooms – or the fancy way of saying it is “mushroom duxelle”
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 clove of garlic, mashed
- 1 egg, mixed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 large pinch of red chili flakes
- kosher salt and pepper to taste – I put two large pinches of salt in mine
- 6 ciabatta rolls
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- pickled jalapenos
- Saute the mushroom mixture in a little bit of olive oil with some salt and pepper. This should only take 5 minutes, tops.
- Combine the ingredients from the ground beef to the salt and mix well. This is the time I like to always make a little tiny patty and cook it. This allows me adjust the seasonings as I seem to fit.
- Form 6 patties for a normal size burger. If you want to embrace your inner fat kid, make 4 patties.
- If you have a grill, grill these burgers for maybe 3 minutes on each side for medium-rare’ish. If not, saute on a skillet that is heated to medium+ for about 3-4 minutes on each side. When it’s almost done, throw the cheese on top so it melts.
- Assemble the burgers as you like with some sliced onion, jalapenos, lettuce, ketchup, mustard, etc.
Nutrition with everything on the burger
Calories 585 Fat 35g Sat. Fat 15g Carbs 32g Fiber 2g Protein 34g