Healthy Avocado Toast
Last week I made a really good smoked salmon tartare recipe. I talked about the versatility of it, how you can do all types of things like add to sandwiches, breakfast toasts, recovery snacks on Triscuits, pasta, etc. I began my eating loads of smoked salmon endeavor with a smoked salmon and bagel sandwich for lunch that day (soooo good). Next day was a combo of a breakfast and a recovery meal after a hard bike ride.
I grabbed an avocado from the fridge and mashed it up with some salt and lemon juice. Poached an egg, which isn’t hard people but you could easily fry it if you wanted or even scramble it! Toasted some bread and wallah, I had a healthy, recovery/breakfast avocado, smoked salmon and poached egg toast recipe! Ok, I see where that is a super long recipe title :).
Because the smoked salmon tartare was already in the fridge, it only took me the time poach the egg to have this avocado toast sitting in from of me.
Let’s say you don’t have some smoked salmon tartare floating around in your fridge – there is still a few things you can do. You could start with making some because it only takes a few minutes. Pretty much the time it takes to poach an egg. The other thing you could do is just layer some salmon on the avocado. It’ll still be really good and you get all the nutrition benefits from the salmon.
Due to the ease, proteins from the egg and salmon, carbs from the toast, omega-3 fats from the salmon – this has become my go-to recovery snack/meal for the moment. You know I’ll find another one really soon :).
Never miss out on another recipe!
Healthy Avocado, Smoked Salmon and Egg Toast
- 2 pieces of toast
- 2 ounces of smoked salmon tartare or just plain salmon
- 2 eggs
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 lemon
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Bring a small pot of water to a high simmer or very, very low boil. While it's heating, make an ice bath for the eggs. Once you've got the water up to about 200F, add in the vinegar and the eggs. stir gently.
- Place the toast in the toaster.
- Check the eggs. You are looking for about 3 minutes for the yolks still to be runny. Just kinda poke on it. When it's not super jiggly and just a tad firm, take out and place in the ice bath.
- Grab the avocado and dice it up. Add in the lemon juice and some salt. Smash, taste and spread on the pieces of toast. Then place some of the smoked salmon over the avocado and top with the egg.
High Fiber, Sugar Conscious, Pescatarian, Dairy Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Shellfish Free, Pork Free, Red Meat Free, Crustacean Free, Celery Free, Mustard Free, Sesame Free, Lupine Free, Mollusk Free,