One of my favorite appetizer salads, sometimes dinners with grilled fish is an avocado, roasted tomato and houloumi cheese salad of sorts. Its really good. However, as much as I try to have roasted tomatoes in the house at all times, sometimes I don’t. This avocado sandwich recipe is an interpretation of that salad, but with fresh tomatoes and pickled red onions instead of roasted tomatoes and sautéd red onions.
For a sandwich, this works better. The crispiness of the tomatoes is a key element to a well made sandwich. The avocado is the creamy layer, the halloumi cheese is the protein with salt and the lettuce adds another little element of freshness.
Feel free to add even more herbs that I call for in this recipe. There isn’t anything wrong with adding more flavor!
Enjoy and happy cooking!
Greek Avocado, Halloumi, Tomato & Pickled Red Onion Sandwich
- 1/2 package of halloumi cheese (the rest will save in the fridge for a long time)
- 1 avocado
- 1 small slicer tomato
- 1/2 cup of pickled red onions or some quickly sautéd tomatoes
- 1/4 cup of sliced basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh, chopped oregano
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- Lettuce or arugula
- 4 slices of bread or 2 wraps
- Start with the tomatoes. Slice them thin and then toss with the chopped oregano and half of the balsamic vinegar. Set aside.
- For the avocado, you are going to want to cut it into chunks and place in a bowl. Then add in the balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, basil and a pinch or two of salt. Mash up.
- Place the bread in the toaster.
- Heat a non-stick skillet to medium. While it's heating, slice the halloumi cheese. Add in the olive oil and then the cheese. Sear on both sides for a couple minutes. You want a nice crust to it. Remove.
- Assemble the sandwich by placing the avocado down, then the tomatoes, followed with cheese, onions and then lettuce.
High Fiber, Vegetarian, Pescatarian, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Pork Free, Red Meat Free, Crustacean Free, Celery Free, Mustard Free, Sesame Free, Lupine Free, Mollusk Free, Alcohol Free, Kosher