Avocado Egg Toast
It’s taken me a long time to warm up to avocado. I think it goes back to a really bad guacamole I had as a kid and it stuck – not in a good way. But nowadays I love it! It goes in salads, baked goods, pasta, smoothies, sandwiches, etc. For me, all avocado needs is a little bit of salt and acid like some lemon juice and it’s super good!
I know a lot of people just like to throw it on some toast with a sprinkle of salt and head out the door, which is still super healthy and convenient. However, if you start to think outside the box of just avocado toast in the morning or right after a training session (fyi: a good little post training snack) you can end up with all types of interesting combinations. One of my favorites for the morning or immediately after a long run or ride (sometimes I’m not hungry at first) is to smear some avocado on toast, fry an egg and slice up some tomatoes with red onions for the side.
I recently made this avocado egg toast recipe before a bike ride. I wasn’t really all that hungry, but I wasn’t heading out on an easy 20 mile spin either. I needed substance, nutrition, fuel and this really fit the bill.
The next time you need a quick recovery snack, breakfast or pre-training fuel – give this avocado egg toast with tomatoes and red onions a go. It’s super good!!!
Quick Note: If you aren’t going to use the whole avocado save the half with the seed in it, rub with lemon juice and wrap tightly with plastic wrap. It’ll help keep it from turning brown.
Avocado Egg Toast with Tomatoes
- 2 pieces of toast
- 1 avocado
- 1 tomato
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 lemon
- Kosher salt
- Optional: 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Put your bread slices in the toaster and toast.
- Cut the avocado in half and remove the flesh. Mash with the juice of half the lemon, pinch of salt and a pinch of garlic powder if using. Set aside.
- Slice the tomato in quarters or slices if you prefer and season with some salt and pepper. Slice the red onion too.
- Now, your toast should toasted, avocado spread made and tomatoes sliced. Get a non-stick sauté pan heated to medium high. Crack the eggs in it an cook for about 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. While it's cooking - spread the avocado on the toast and plate the tomatoes. Once the egg is somewhat set, place on the toast and eat!
High Fiber, Vegetarian, Pescatarian, Dairy Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Pork Free, Red Meat Free, Crustacean Free, Celery Free, Mustard Free, Sesame Free, Lupine Free, Mollusk Free, Alcohol Free, Kosher