Asparagus & Ramp Salad Recipe
There is a small window of time during the spring months that bring us a very special spring vegetable called ramps and chef’s like myself, have a lot of fun coming up with different ramp recipes. This recipe works so well because each ingredient has a unique flavor profile and texture, do to different cooking techniques. The ramps are roasted, the asparagus is simmered in water and butter, the potatoes are blanched then pan fried and the then there is the creaminess of the poached egg and it’s yolk, along with a touch of citrus from the lemon sauce.
I believe that this is a perfect appetizer or brunch side dish. I wouldn’t want to necessarily turn it into a main meal by doubling the ingredients.
Spring Salad with Asparagus, Ramps, Potatoes & Poached Eggs
- 1 pound of asparagus
- 16 ramps
- 8 new red potatoes
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Heat the oven to 350F.
- While the oven is heating, start prepping everything else. Slice the potatoes and place in a pot of water to bring to a boil. When slightly tender, remove from the water and set aside.
- Cut the asparagus into 3 pieces. Bring a pot of water and butter to a simmer. Add in the asparagus for about 4 minutes. Remove and shock in an ice bath. Reserve the water/butter to reheat.
- Make the sauce by removing the zest from the lemon, adding in the juice from it, the dijon mustard and slowly whisking in 2-3 tablespoons olive oil. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Now prepare the ramps by snipping off the root, tossing in some olive oil and a pinch of salt. Place in the oven for about 7-8 minutes. You want them just a tiny bit crusty.
- While the ramps are roasting, bring a pot of water to a rolling simmer and add in a tablespoon of white vinegar. Poach the eggs for about 3 minutes and remove. You can place in an ice bath or just set aside as everything is going to come together quickly now.
- Heat a skillet to medium high heat with some olive oil. Quickly "fry" the potato slices and place on 4 plates. Reheat the the asparagus quickly in it's poaching liquid. Place over the potatoes. Then arrange the roasted ramps. Place the poached eggs on top and drizzle the sauce over it all. Serve with some freshly chopped basil.