Beef Pot Roast
Pot roast evokes feelings of comfort and warmth for me during cold winter days. So, with snow on the ground and the temperature not moving above freezing, it was time for some slow cooked beef pot roast!
Some people say that being able to smell pot roast cooking is wonderful. Well, yes and no. I don’t think that either of us have wondered around the kitchen wanting to snack ALL afternoon!!! The smell of my favorite beef pot roast recipe really fills the house up. I put the usual mirepoix, thyme, rosemary, etc in with the beef, but what really adds a ton of subtle flavor and aromatics is the cinnamon stick and star anise I add.
Related Recipe: Garlic Green Beans
I braise mine all afternoon on the stove top, but the recipe is also perfect in the slow cooker (I really like my Cuisinart slow cooker BTW) while you are away at work. Just sear the meat, remove, sauté veggies, add in all the ingredients, set on low and go! It’s especially great after a cold run or bike.
Slow Cooked Beef Pot Roast on the Stove Top
- 1 2.5 - 3 pound chuck roast
- 3 carrots, cut into large pieces
- 3 celery sticks, cut into large pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, quartered
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups red wine, a cab or malbec are good choices
- 3 cups good quality beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 15 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise pod
- 2 bay leaves
- House Seasoning: salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder
- salt and pepper
- Heat a dutch oven to medium high heat with some olive oil. Season the meat with the House Seasoning and sear on all sides. Maybe 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Remove from pot and add in the veggies. Saute for about 5 minutes so they get soft and a little bit of color. Season with some salt and pepper.
- Deglaze with the red wine and reduce by half. Add in the beef stock and reduce by a quarter or so. Stir in the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Carefully place the roast in the sauce and cover.
- You can cook the pot roast on the stove top on low heat or you place in a 350 degree oven.
- Either way, it's cooking for at least 3 hours before it becomes fork tender and falls apart.
High Protein, Low Carb, Sugar Conscious, Paleo, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Pork Free, No Oil Added, Kosher
With 1/2 cup smashed potatoes and green beans: 471 calories, 16g fat