I always feel soup is an after thought for dinners. It really shouldn’t be because it’s great for multiple meals cutting down on time you spend in the kitchen and saving you money. These are both win-wins for athletes and busy working parents.
I love this Mexican chicken soup. It’s full of protein with the chicken and black beans. Then the corn and other veggies add just the right amount f carbs! I like to start with simmering the chicken to make a really good broth. However, I think a rotisserie chicken and a good quality chicken broth is more than sufficient for a great soup.
Mexican Chicken Soup
- 2 cooked chicken breasts
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup of frozen corn, thawed
- 1 15-ounce can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 28-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 quart, 4 cups of chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sour Cream
- Shredded cheese
- Heat some olive oil in a dutch oven or large sauce pan. Saute the onion and carrot for about 5 minutes or until soft. Start adding in pinches of the spices so you layer the flavor.
- Once the veggies are soft, add in the rest of the ingredients.
- Taste and continue seasoning the soup.
- Simmer for at least 15 minutes so all the flavors marry. Ladle into bowls and garnish with accompaniments.
High Fiber, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Pork Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar Added