Gruyere Grilled Cheese
We had some friends over for a trail run on Christmas day (I rode my bike) and I needed finger food for afterwards because it was the witching our of mid-afternoon. We needed food to recover but not enough to fill us up before dinner. I did a simple smoked salmon and cream cheese plate, some deviled eggs and this gruyere grilled cheese sandwich with caramelized onions and a blackberry jam. The thing is – I had never made this grilled cheese before. One of those things you should probably not do is experiment on guests, but come on, how can you go wrong with gooey miniature gruyere grilled cheese sandwiches?!?!
I ended up with this grilled cheese recipe by chance. Whole Foods was tasting their cave aged Gruyere cheese and it was sooo good. Then gruyere obviously goes with caramelized onions because of French onion soup. I tossed around the idea of making it with bacon, but since there were some vegetarians in the house and I’ve been eating WAY TOO MUCH MEAT, I opted for a sweet option of blackberry jam.
This grilled cheese sandwich does take a bit of time to make because of caramelizing the onions but it’s worth it! However, if you don’t mind eating really similar things for a few days, I’d recommend making a big batch of the onions and putting on other things like a tart, pizza, in pasta, on toast points with goat cheese or mix into some bacon for a caramelized onion and bacon jam!
Enjoy and remember to Pin or Save for later!
Gruyere Grilled Cheese with Caramelized Onions & Blackberry Jam
- 4 slices of good quality bread
- Caramelized onions
- 3 ounces of gruyere cheese
- 2 tablespoons blackberry jam
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 small yellow onions
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- Optional: Balsamic vinegar
- Start with making the caramelized onions. Heat a skillet to low heat. Then slice the onions and place in the pan with the butter and olive oil. Season with a pinch of salt and stir. Stir every 5 minutes or so for about 30-45 minutes. Once it gets to a caramel color, you are done for this recipe. Add a dash of balsamic vinegar for color and flavor at the very end.
- Take the 4 slices of bread and spread some jam on both sides of the bread that will be inside. Then layer with some cheese, onions and cheese again. Close and spread butter on each side of the bread.
- Heat a clean skillet to medium heat and place the sandwiches in it. You are going to want to cook them for about 3-5 minutes on each side. Check every so often to make sure it's not burning or that it's cooking enough. Once the cheese has melted and you've got a nice crust on the bread, remove from the heat and serve.
Vegetarian, Pescatarian, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Pork Free, Red Meat Free, Crustacean Free, Celery Free, Mustard Free, Sesame Free, Lupine Free, Mollusk Free, Alcohol Free, Kosher