Grilled Salmon Burger
A salmon patty on it’s own is already good, but throw it on the grill to make yourself a grilled salmon burger and now you’ve got yourself something amazing! I like to make my salmon patties with a French flair or some might argue, a traditional one. However, I think there is a reason certain ingredients become classics – they just work so well together. For example, red onion and capers are great with salmon. As well as sauces made with herbs, garlic and lemon juice.
What sets this recipe apart from some of the other ones out there (besides the amazing flavor) is that I do not call for either eggs or mayonnaise to bind the patties together. If you pulse the salmon fine enough in the food processor, it will naturally stick together with the help of some bread crumbs. This also allows for a bit more fresh salmon flavor to them.
Cooking Tip: Don’t overcook the patty. You still want it be cooked to a medium temperature, not well done as it will become super dry and taste bad.
Type of Salmon: This would be the ONLY recipe that I would say that farm raised salmon would be ok to use. But even then, try to find out where and how the salmon was raised. Here is a good article in the Seattle Times discussing the topic.
Enjoy and Remember to Pin or Save for Later!
Grilled Salmon Burgers with a Garlic & Herb Aioli
- 1 1/4 pound of salmon
- 1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/4 cup of chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 4 buns
- Sliced red onion
- Tomato, sliced
- 1/4 cup of mayo
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup of chopped herbs like tarragon, Italian parsley and/or dill
- For the salmon you want to make sure you remove any bones and the skin. Then with the capers, red onion, lemon juice, dijon mustard and a pinch of salt, place in a food processor. You can either pulse a half dozen times or puree for 2-3 seconds. You do not want it turned into a paste.
- Remove from the food processor and mix in the pnako bread crumbs. Form 4 patties.
- Turn your grill on to high. Once hot, add the salmon patties to the grill and grill for about 3-4 minutes on each side.
- While the salmon is grilling, make the aioli by combining all of the ingredients. Taste and adjust as you see fit by adding more lemon juice, herbs or salt.
- Once the salmon is cooked to medium, remove and assemble your salmon burger.