Ramps are essentially a cult spring vegetable on the east coast of the US. It’s not a vegetable that is readily planted as a crop. They grow wild and people must forage for them. To add on top of the foraging for them, they also have a very short window of time where you can go dig them up. Hence the “cult” concept of them because the demand is greater than the supply.
There is a patch of ramps near our home that Dwight had mentioned to me on the flight back to the states. So obviously one of the first things we did was go forage for ramps! I just kinda stood in the field looking around closely where Dwight decided to go into a big patch of stinging nestles… Oops…. Especially since I found them standing in place :). We dug some up to eat that night and to transplant in our backyard.
I decided to combine my love of the grill, a great meal we had in Alba and the ramps for a great side dish, appetizer or even a vegetarian main dish. Seriously, what could be better than grilled ramps and asparagus with a lemon aioli and cooked egg whites?
Grilled Ramps and Asparagus
- 1 pound or bunch of asparagus
- 8 ramps
- olive oil
- kosher salt
- 3 eggs, separated for the yolks
- 1 cup olive oil
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Make the aioli first. Separate the eggs and set the egg whites aside.
- Grab your whisk and start whisking the egg yolks, zest and lemon juice for about a minute. Now start slowly pouring in the olive oil, whisking and whisking. The more olive oil you pour into the yolks, the thicker it will get. Just keep adding olive oil until you get the consistency you want. Set aside
- Get the grill going to medium heat. Toss the ramps and asparagus with some olive oil and salt. Place on the heated grill and let cook for maybe 5 minutes. Move them around so that they cook evenly and remove.
- The egg whites are pretty simple. You can cook them in 2 different ways by either placing in a saute pan or in the microwave
- Assemble the veggies, aioli and egg whites on top.
Low Carb, Sugar Conscious, Vegetarian, Specific Carbs, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar Added
Calories 146, Fat 12g, Carbs 8g, Fiber 4g, Sugars, 3g, Protein 3g