Avocado Orange Salad
Citrus like orange’s are a great accompaniment to avocado salads as the acid cuts through the richness of the avocado and is sweet enough to not to be bitter. Adding the licorice taste of fennel and the bite of red onion adds even more flavor without overpowering anything else. This is always one of the goals when making healthy food taste good. It’s the layering of ingredients to enhance the flavor of the food without a lot of fat.
As an example in this avocado salad recipe, I use lemon juice to help season the avocado and as a way to dress the greens. This is layering and enhancing flavors without unnecessary fat or steps.
Serving Tip: I pan seared some snapper and served on top for a bit more protein and substance after a bike ride. Also, if you don’t have access to blood oranges, regular oranges will work just fine.
Avocado Blood Orange Salad with Fennel & Red Onion
- 2 blood oranges or regular oranges
- 2 avocado
- 1 small fennel bulb
- 1/2 small red onion
- 5 ounce container of mixed baby greens
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- *Optional Ingredient: A quarter cup of freshly minced herbs like parsley, tarragon and basil
- Chop off the stems of the fennel and core. Thinly slice.
- Thinly slice the red onion.
- Remove the skin from the oranges and then slice into round. You could cut the supremes out, but that is a more work.
- For the avocado, you are going to want to remove the pit and then dice. Toss with some lemon juice and a pinch of salt.
- Next up is to take the greens and place in a large bowl. Toss with some lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Add in herbs if you are using. Then add in the avocado, fennel and red onion. Toss.
- Place the greens onto plate and then top with the orange slices.
High Fiber, Low Sodium, Vegan, Vegetarian, Pescatarian, Paleo, Specific Carbs, Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Wheat Free, Egg Free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Soy Free, Fish Free, Shellfish Free, Pork Free, Red Meat Free, Crustacean Free, Celery Free, Mustard Free, Sesame Free, Lupine Free, Mollusk Free, Alcohol Free, No Sugar